Friday 16 November 2012

The Spook's Mistake Review

The Spook's Mistake by Joesph Delaney

Review by Emma McGrath


Quick Summary;

As danger increases in the County, Tom is sent far north by his master to be trained by Bill Arkwright, another Spook. Arkwright lives in a haunted mill on the edge of a treacherous marsh and his training methods prove to be harsh and sometimes cruel. But he has toughened up many previous apprentices and now he must do the same for Tom and prepare him for the gravest dangers of his life.

But when the Fiend sends his own daughter, the ancient powerful water witch Morwena, to destroy Tom, Arkwright makes an error of judgement and Tom finds himself facing his enemies alone. The Spook and Alice realising his danger, hasten to his aid but will even their combined strengths suffice in the face of such terrible dark power? And what is the Spook's mistake, the consequences of which might give final victory to the dark?

My Thoughts;

I  liked seeing a different side to a Spooks job, Bill was tougher in his training methods and the way he deals with the dark. John seemed soft compared to Bill. I felt Bill's loneliness a lot and as I was reading,I was concerned for Tom's safety because Bill got hostile at times.

I really liked the cover of this book, Bill looks mysterious and his dog's Tooth and Claw look fierce.This image stayed with me throughout the book. It gave me a fear to meet Bill and set off an unnerving vibe around everything to do with Bill.

I felt the story get a bit boring from when Tom and Bill try to find Morwena and till Bill goes missing.after that my adrenaline picked up as Tom was in panic, I thought the writing was brilliant .Toms thought were bouncing off the walls sending the reader on an emotional journey.

I found the Fiend very horrifying,when he first appeared I felt a sense of finality.The way Joesph Delaney disguised the big reveal of the friend was amazing,i really didn't expect it!
I thought that the fiend would be a cheesy character and fail to impress but I was very wrong! the author got it spot on! I like how he's underhanded and he haunting demeanor is.
so far in the series I haven't been given any clue of what to except him to look like, in this book he takes on the form of another person.the idea of the friend looking like a person Tom trusts is very clever and unsettling! but John Gregory said his true form is monstrous I'm half dreading it but then again I can't wait!

This is my favorite scene in Mistake,when Tom realizes that the Fiend is standing in front of him in disguise  the shock factor was brilliant great twist!.

I looked across the open hatch at the creature who had taken the bargeman's likeness. "If that's Mr Gilbert" i said "Then you must be..."             
"Call me what you will,Tom.I have many names,"he replied. "but none adequately convey my true nature. I've been misrepresented by my enemies.The difference between the works fiend and friend is merely one letter.I could easily be the latter.if you knew me better..."
 With those words,I felt all the strength drain from my body.I tried to reach for my staff but my hand wouldn't obey me,and as everything grew dark,I caught a glimpse of Alice's terrified face and heard her give a wail of terror.That sound chilled me to the bone .Alice was strong. Alice was brave. for her to cry out in such a way made me feel that it was all over with us.
 This was the end.

Grimalkin appeared in this book again but this time as Tom's ally,I have mixed feeling about this because after meeting her at the end of Battle i thought that she makes a brilliant enemy of Tom's and I was looking forward to seeing more of her in that light ( or should i say dark). if i had a choice i would have her as my ally rather than my enemy i think shes an enemy that would never give up the hunt.
later on Grimalkin sides with Tom in a battle orchestrated by the Fiend against water witches.i loved that fight! it was very exciting seeing Grimalkin fight and watching Tom put his resent training to the test.

At the end the Fiend paid tom a visit and told him a shocking truth!my first thought was WHAT i don't believe it! then I thought hmmm is it a lie?
it was a brilliant way to end this book.gave me a lot the think about.

John Gregory decides that after realizing Alice is defiantly leading tom to the dark,that Alice has to go,and never have anything to do with tom again.Tom still shocked and confused with what the fiend has revealed can only listen to his master and set his sights on training to face that dark without her.
This upset me a great deal, Alice is my favorite and the thought of Tom seeing Alice as an enemy is heartbreaking.

After reading this book, I was listening to Breaking Benjamin and made a musical link that I thought goes with these books :)
Mainly about Alice and Tom    

 Great twists! Bill kicks arse.Only wish i could own claw,shes awesome! x

 http://www.spooksbooks.com/index.asp







No comments:

Post a Comment